Foster & Son traces its origins to 1840, trading close to London's St. James's Palace for 175 years.
The firm is still in private English ownership and maintains its mission to sustain the highest standards of craftsmanship and personal service.
During the Second World War in 1941 Mr. Foster was killed by a bomb at Waterloo station, but coincidentally another shoemaker Charles Chester lost his premises in a direct hit from another bomb. Their leather merchant put them together and he moved in with Mrs. Foster at her 5 Eagle Place workshop, between Piccadilly and Jermyn Street. The firm soon moved to 5 Duke of York Street St. James’s and then to 83 Jermyn Street in 1966.
In 1965, our celebrated last maker Terry Moore, already a 15 year veteran in the trade, joined Foster & Son and helped to further refine our elegant designs and superb fit into the classic shapes we still make today.
By 1999 Foster & Son had been joined with Barrow and Hepburn Ltd. another well-known luxury leather goods maker and by Henry Maxwell the famous boot and shoe-makers as a sister company.
Today 83 Jermyn Street still has the feel of a family-owned business. We hope that here you will find the same welcoming environment and low-key, courteous and professional service that our discerning clients have come to expect over the generations.